Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The night before....

I would be lying if I told you that I haven't thought about what the doctor said last week. I am supposed to hear from Dr. Jerk tomorrow at some point in the morning and if I don't, I am supposed to call. I am already expecting that I will have to call. I also plan to leave my cell phone ring ON at work - I think this is a pretty important phone call.
I have done some research and whether or not to do surgery is controversial at best. There are things that need to be considered:
FACT:  When I had my original thyroidectomy/central dissection there were 9/13 positive lymph nodes. It had already metastasized. Damn cancer. But remember, this is the 'good' cancer to have - ugh, I hate that expression. As IF there is a GOOD cancer!! HAHA!
FACT: I am 43 years old. That is still young even for this cancer.( I was diagnosed at 40 years old with a 1 year old baby.)
FACT: I had a normal nuclear scan in January.
FACT: I had a normal Ultrasound in summer of last year. That means that these lymph nodes have changed enough to see a difference on ultrasound.
FACT: It may just be a matter of time before the surgery HAS to be done, so WHEN it is done will need to be determined.
FACT: If I do have the surgery, I WILL hire a plastic surgeon so I will hopefully not scar as much as my original surgery.

I guess we will see what the 3 doctors come up with. More tomorrow!
Fingers crossed...

2 comments:

  1. fingers and toes crossed for you, my new blog friend. No cancer is good, whatever they say but there are great treatments for thyroid cancer and I know many survivors.
    Running Away with Myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for you and what you are going through. A friend had part of her thyroid removed because it wasn't acting normal. Her scar is not noticeable at all. For the first few months she wore scarves and turtlenecks and now one can only tell if she's tanning a lot and you can see a very thin line. If I didn't know her, I would just think it's a line in her skin.

    No cancer is good to have, especially when you hear the word "metastisized".

    ReplyDelete