Monday, January 14, 2013

Crazy Sexy Cancer


'Cancer wasn't killing me, it was pushing me to live. Maybe my lesson was about patience and acceptance. If I could learn to be at peace with my disease, even if it didn't go away, then I could do anything."  Kristin Carr

I watched the movie Crazy Sexy Cancer which is about a 31 year old diagnosed with a rare form of cancer with no treatment options. Ultimately, she turned to a clean diet and healthy eating and has had stable disease for many years. I have been eating a 'clean' diet on/off for several years now, especially since I was diagnosed with cancer in 2010. The Anticancer Diet was all about how cancer would thrive off of sugar. I remember thinking that right before I was diagnosed I had been eating sugar again - that surely had to be the reason I had cancer.

 I really limit any sugar intake now, except for rare occasions. My grandfather, who has been on some sort of diet for his cardiac health since I was a kid, always made an exception on birthdays and holidays to indulge in a dessert. I have done the same, however for me, it sometimes leads to a spiral out of control sugar rage. I am much better about keeping these sugar 'rages' under control these days than I used to be.

Over the holidays, I read the book "It starts with food", by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig. It is a very similar message to a lot of these other books and eat clean diets. This book talks about decreasing sugar intake, but eating whole foods, not processed foods. Fruit is allowed as it is a whole food. There are no forms of other sugars - no honey, maple syrup, stevia, etc. I have never been one to drink diet soda or like the flavor of artificial sweeteners, so this has never been an issue for me. If I was going to have sugar, I would always prefer it in its natural form. It is still healthier to use honey as a sweetener than any artificial sweetener. If you watch the documentary called Hungry for Change, you would probably never put another artificial sweetener in your body.

I am Day 9 into a 30 day 'whole food' eating plan based on the book. It has been very easy. Fruits, Veggies, Nuts, and meats - no processed foods, dairy, or grains.. Pretty simple. I was eating healthy before this so it has been an easy transition with no real detox feelings. People think I am crazy and too restrictive - no dairy, no grains, no convenience foods. My thought is that if this will keep my cancer stable, then why not.

Tomorrow - recheck ultrasound. I will update after I have the results! Fingers crossed!

1 comment: