Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Cancer as a chronic disease

From the article entitled "Information on Surviving Cancer"  (http://health.usnews.com/health-conditions/cancer/information-on-surviving-cancer) from US News, I found this information very interesting:

Surviving cancer differs from dealing with many other health issues, in that recovery may not be the end of the cancer experience. For some, cancer becomes a chronic condition, requiring periodic treatments. Others may go into long-term remission. But even if it has been years since you were successfully treated, no one, not even your cancer doctor, can tell you for sure that your cancer will not recur. At some point, all cancer patients have to find a way to live with this frightening truth.

It may be that my thought processes were skewed prior to my recurrence, as in my cancer was cured and I would just do my required periodic checks. Of course, we know now that is not true and that there is cancer within my body that we are just monitoring. I somehow felt comfort in reading the aforementioned article in that it validated the feelings of having to live with cancer as a chronic disease. Chronic, ongoing and needing periodic treatment. As I have learned in the last couple years, thyroid cancer is slow growing (remember, that good cancer phrase) and many people live with it within their bodies. But now, even though it is called cancer, it is really just a chronic disease and many people live with chronic disease. Doesn't chronic disease sound better than cancer? I can just say I have a chronic condition that needs periodic monitoring - sounds better than scaring everyone with the big "C".

And with all disease or challenges or cancer or chronic conditions, everyone makes an active choice about how they deal with it. For me, staying healthy by being active and eating clean is key. If I feel good then life is good - after all, I have 4 adventurists to grow. I hear people tell me of their chronic conditions and use it as an excuse not to take care of themselves. I actually have people stand in front of me, that don't know me that well, that actually tell me they have thyroid disease so they can't lose weight. Oh, really, you are talking to the wrong person. I see people that say they live with chronic joint pain and they are morbidly obese - I want to shake them and tell them they can make their lives better! These people live, and will eventually die, by their excuses. NO EXCUSES!! Make time for yourself, even if it is very early or very late! You have been given one body -take care of it!

I have been told before that I inspire people or motivate people and I don't see it. For me, the only option is do everything I can do to keep my body strong. I do not understand any other option. I can not understand how people can convince themselves not to do something if it can potentially CURE their problem!  I did not choose my chronic disease and if I could do something to cure it, you can bet I would move heaven and earth to do it.

With that in mind, my training is done for the day and I am off to play with Adventurist#4! Surround yourself with positivity and the rest will fall into place!!

No comments:

Post a Comment