Saturday, November 10, 2012

Introducing Coach Hedgehog!

I consider myself very lucky that I am coached. A friend, that I met online, recently earned her USAT level I coaching certificate and took on several of us from her mentor group. She shall be known from hereon out as Coach Hedgehog for her love of hedgehogs.

 Recently, Coach Hedgehog made my day!!! I told her of my frustration with swimming in the cold and dark days of fall and winter and she said I can take a break!!! Yeah!! I tried in October and swam once - it really wasn't that bad, but I am excited to get rid of the guilt of not having to do it again until 2013. In fact, I already went to the gym and put my membership on hold! She is going to have me do some dry land exercises that will mimic some of the actions of actual swimming.

 The only downfall to her telling me that I don't have to swim, is that I really need to swim. It's a double edged sword. I am a terrible swimmer and I made very little progress despite the 62,625 yards that I swam in 2012. Maybe I made a little progress as I didn't freak at the triathlons I did this past season. Speed wise though, I am not a natural and I am not fast. Even with a private coach, I didn't see the progress I had hoped to. See, that is why I need to swim.

 I did present some evidence to support that not swimming in the off season is OK. I read this article from EN. http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/training/return-on-investment-series-part-ii-the-swim/

One of the great things about being coached is that she has a training plan for me everyday on Training Peaks. She tells me what to do and I just do it. Intervals, Tempo runs, sprints, long bikes or runs....it doesn't matter. I love not having to think about what I need to do. Thank you Coach Hedgehog!!!

 I have been heartrate training with her now for over a year. I am not sure it really is for me. I keep trying, but my heart rate never seems to ever lower at faster speeds. Let's just hope my heart stays strong at 160-170 bpm for 6 hours at Eagleman!

 Are you coached or do you train by heart rate? Do you swim in the winter/off season?

No comments:

Post a Comment